"V" Streets of New York
Valleau's Wharf. (E19) At the foot of Corlears Street.
Van Bruggen Street (1). (n.d.) Per Post, now [part of?] Hanover Square.
Van Bruggen Street (2). (n.d.) Per Post, now [part of?] Pine Street.
Van Clyff's Slip. (L17-M18) Created in 1692 when Van Clyff's Street was ordered left open to the low water mark. Later known as Rodman's Slip, Lyons Slip, and Burling Slip. See Wharves, Piers and Slips.
Van Clyff's Street. (L17) An early name for the eastern part of John Street. See also Vandercliffe's Street.
Van Ness or Van Nest Place. (M19-M20) The block of Charles Street between West 4th and Bleecker Streets was designated Van Ness Place (sometimes spelled Van Nest) in 1866. It was changed back to Charles Street in 1936.
Van Water Street. See Vandewater Street.
Van Zant's or Van Zandt's Wharf. (L18-E19) Between Wall Street and Gouverneur Lane.
Vandercliffe's Street. (E-L18) The former name of Gold Street between John and Fulton Streets.
Vanderdise, Vanderdisses or Vandisses Street. Listed by Post as former names of Gold Street between John and Fulton Streets. All three are incorrect versions of Vandercliffe's Street, probably caused by misreadings of 18th Century type fonts.
Vandewater Street. (M18-L20) Ran from Frankfort to Pearl Streets one block east of Rose Street. It was closed about 1970 for Murry Bergtraum High School and the adjoining Verizon building. The link under the Brooklyn Bridge has also been demapped.
Varick Place. (E19-E20) A former name of Sullivan Street between West Houston and Bleecker Streets.
Varlett's Street, Verlett's Hill, or Venlentinbergh. See Verlettenberg Hill.
Verdant Lane. (L18?-M19) Ran from the present Broadway between 45th and 46th Streets to a point east of Twelfth Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets.
Verlettenberg Hill or Street. (L17-L18) Exchange Place, primarily the block between Broadway and Broad Street. The Dutch called it Verlettenbergh, probably after Nicholas Verlett or Varlett, a prominent burgher who was also Peter Stuyvesant's brother-in-law. The British anglicized the name as Verlett's Hill or, rather redundantly, as Verlettenberg Hill. By the 1730s this had become corrupted to Flatten Barrack. About 1793 it was merged into Garden Street, which became Exchange Place in 1827.
Verplanck Street. (L18-E19) In the Stuyvesant Farm Grid, the second street south of and parallel to Stuyvesant Street.
Verrazano Street. (M-L20) Laid out about 1950 as an access street for the proposed Lower Manhattan Expressway, it would have run from Bedford Street at Sixth Avenue to Varick Street opposite Clarkson Street. Although the Expressway was abandoned in 1969, Verrazano Street was not demapped until 1981.
Vesey Row. See West Washington Market (1).
Village Street. (L18-E19) An early name for West Houston Street west of Sixth Avenue. It was renamed Hammersley Street in 1807.
Vito Marcantonio Avenue. (M20) After the death of East Harlem Congressman Vito Marcantonio in 1954, admirers campaigned to have Pleasant Avenue renamed for him. The proposed name was never adopted by the City Council but was nevertheless sometimes used. It appears, for example, on the 1985 Hagstrom Map of Manhattan.
Voorhis Place. (L19) East 39th Street between First and Second Avenues.
Find Street Name